The National Neighborhoods Indicators Partnership is coordinated by the Urban Institute of Washington, D.C. and governed by the NNIP Executive Committee.
Urban Institute is overall coordinator of NNIP. The network is directed by Kathy Pettit, assisted by Tom Kingsley as Director Emeritus and Leah Hendey as Deputy Director. With guidance from the Executive Committee, the Urban Institute:
- Leads in developing the strategic vision for the network and spearheads the NNIP Executive Committee.
- Plans and develops the program for the partners' meetings, including sessions on policy issues, technology, business development.
- Identifies and vets new potential partner cities.
- Develops curated content for the NNIP website.
- Prepares proposals for funding, receives and oversees grants to support the partnership, and is accountable to funders for overall performance.
NNIP Executive Committee
The NNIP Executive Committee is the central mechanism governing NNIP. Six representatives from local NNIP partners and three from the Urban Institute meet monthly by phone to plan partnership activities, monitor performance under the plan, and consider ongoing activities and policies of the partnership. To the fullest extent possible, decisions are made by consensus. Local partner representatives on the Executive Committee serve three-year terms on a rotating basis, and each year, two positions are open. All partner staff are eligible for election. The candidates are announced to the full partnership and each partner city has one vote.
Current Executive Committee Members
- Mark Abraham: DataHaven (New Haven), 2015-2017 term
- Bob Gradeck: University Center for Social and Urban Research, University of Pittsburgh, 2015-2017 term
- Seema Iyer, Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance, Jacob France Institute at the University of Baltimore, 2017-2019 term
- Jeff Matson: Center for Urban and Regional Affairs, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities), 2013-2016 term
- April Urban: Center on Urban Poverty and Community Development, Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland), 2016-2018 term
- Noah Urban: Data Driven Detroit, 2017-2019 term
- Tom Kingsley: Urban Institute
- Kathy Pettit: Urban Institute
- Leah Hendey: Urban Institute
Former Executive Committee Members
|Sheila Martin||Institute of Portland Metropolitan Studies, Portland State University||Portland||2014-2016|
|Jeff Matson||Center for Urban and Regional Affairs, University of Minnesota||Twin Cities||2013-2016|
Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy, New York University
|Todd Clausen||Nonprofit Center of Milwaukee||Milwaukee||2012-2014|
|Kurt Metzger||Data Driven Detroit||Detroit||2012-2014|
|David Bartelt||Temple University||Philadelphia||2011-2013|
|Matthew Kachura||Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance||Baltimore||2011-2013|
|Phyllis Betts||Center on Community Building and Neighborhood Action, University of Memphis||Memphis||2010-2012|
|Steve Spiker||Urban Strategies Council||Oakland||2010-2012|
|Tim Bray||Institute for Urban Policy Research, University of Texas at Dallas||Dallas||2009-2011|
|Claudia Coulton||Center on Urban Poverty and Community Development, Case Western University||Cleveland||2009-2011|
|Matthew Barry||The Piton Foundation||Denver||2008-2010|
|Michael Rich||NeighborhoodNexus & Emory University||Atlanta||2009-2010|
|John Stern||Neighborhoods Resource Center||Nashville||2008-2009|
|Michael Barndt||Nonprofit Center of Milwaukee||Milwaukee||2007-2009|
|Garth Taylor||Metropolitan Chicago Information Center||Chicago||2007-2009|
|Charlie Bruner||Child and Family Policy Center||Des Moines||2006-2008|
|Sandy Ciske||Public Health-Seattle and King County||Seattle||2006-2008|
|Pat McGuigan||The Providence Plan||Providence||2002-2007|
|Junious Williams||Urban Strategies Council||Oakland||2002-2007|
|Sharon Kandris||The Polis Center||Indianapolis||2004-2006|
|Charlotte Cunliffe||Greater New Orleans Community Data Center||New Orleans||2003-2005|
|Terri Bailey||The Piton Foundation||Denver||2002-2005|
|Cynthia Cunningham||The Polis Center||Indianapolis||2002-2003|
|Odette Ramos||Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance||Baltimore||2002-2003|
|Craig Totaro||The Reinvestment Fund||Phildephia||2002-2003|